Ten students enrolled in the school in 1913 on Hockaday’s first campus, located in a house on North Haskell Avenue in Dallas. In the next few years, Hockaday increased in size, adding a Lower School and a large boarding department. By the end of the 1920s, Hockaday’s reputation for high academic standards was well-established.
In 1931, undaunted by economic events, Miss Hockaday began a Junior College; and then, in 1938, she opened The Music Institute, which was located on what would become Hockaday’s second campus on Greenville Avenue in Dallas.
After Miss Hockaday's death in 1956, J. Erik Jonsson set in motion a campaign for a new campus. Karl Hoblitzelle donated 100 acres in North Dallas, which became the site of Hockaday's third and present-day campus in 1961. The Dallas Times Herald described the new campus as "eye-catching ... the most unusual, the most attractive, the most advanced learning facility in Dallas."
Despite many changes over the years, Hockaday still remains deeply committed to its founder's vision, revering Miss Hockaday’s four cornerstones of character, courtesy, scholarship, and athletics. In addition, as Miss Hockaday would have wished, the school has a diverse student body. The campus also has grown to accommodate more than 1,000 students; and as a result of the Hockaday Tomorrow Capital Campaign, now features a state-of-the-art Academic Research Center, a new Lower School Addition, and a beautiful Wellness Center.
*Excerpts from this history were taken from Patricia Coggan’s article, "Miss Ela Builds a Home," which appeared in the Spring 2002 issue of Legacies: A Historical Journal for Dallas and North Central Texas.