Campus History

Haskell Avenue Campus


The School's first location was a grey frame house at 1206 Haskell Avenue between Live Oak and Swiss. 

"It was here that the core values of Hockaday were first established—the kinds of academics, extracurriculars, and ideals that would blossom fully in its two campuses. Art was added to the curriculum immediately. A boarding department was established in the second year. Then a library was donated and science courses incorporated. Athletics were integral almost from the start, with a tennis tournament held as early as 1915, a swimming pool suitable for aquatic sports built in 1917, and a basketball court." - From the Centennial Anthology, "Hockaday’s Campuses and Its Architecture" by Virginia Savage McAlester ’61

Greenville Avenue Campus


In 1919, Miss Hockaday moved the school to its second location at the intersection of Greenville and Belmont Avenues as the student body had quickly outgrown the first school building. The new campus was a part of the former Caruth family farm of which Miss Hockaday purchased eight acres. The old farm house was renamed Trent house and served as one of the boarding houses for the new campus.Ground was broken for the main building on June 30, and exactly three months later, the new building opened to 150 students.

Welch Road Campus


Groundbreaking for the Welch Road campus took place in September 1960. During the Thanksgiving vacation 1961, all grades moved from the Greenville Avenue Campus to the new campus on Welch Road. This was a rather challenging move, but in true Hockaday fashion the students, faculty, and parents all pitched in to help ensure a seamless transition from one location to the next. The new campus was designed by architect Harwood K. Smith in the International Style.

© 2024 The Hockaday School. All Rights Reserved